A fund of the Cambridge Charitable Foundation has supported the renovations and upgrades to the church.
The Shandon Congregational Church
The Shandon Congregational Church is the only church in Shandon, Ohio, a small town of Welsh origin in a semi-rural area of Southwestern Ohio. Founded in 1803, the church has been in continuous existence since its founding. Families who have been in the area for generations continue to attend, resulting in a wide age representation on Sunday mornings.
The church has been very stable and self-sufficient over the years. In 1988, an education wing was added to accommodate Sunday School classrooms, office space, a kitchen, additional restrooms, and a choir room that was funded entirely through congregant gifts. Later, a parking lot was added.
The church is active in the area community, sharing ecumenical services, Vacation Bible School and various local mission work. The wider area community supports the church by coming to annual events such as the Strawberry Festival fundraiser sponsored by the church for over 93 years, their Christmas in the Country, and attendance at their monthly Gospel sings.
Located near the church is the “Community House”, which was the original church building for the founding families erected in 1825. The congregation moved its sanctuary to its current structure in 1855 and has ever since maintained and operated the Community House as an extension, used for dinners, Lenten and other services and special events including the Strawberry Festival.
Various renovations and upgrades have been made to the church and Community House to make them more accessible and comfortable for its members.
A fund of the Cambridge Charitable Foundation has supported the renovations and upgrades to the church and Community House.