Motivations to give time and/or money and other resources for charitable purposes.
Reasons to Give
Individuals and couples have many different reasons and motivations behind their decision to give their time and/or money and other resources for charitable purposes. Most of the reasons fall into one of the following categories:
- The tax savings relating to charitable giving can be quite substantial, both during one’s lifetime and for purposes of one’s estate. While the tax benefits of giving are often cited as the main reason for people’s charitable contributions, often the tax benefits are secondary reasons for the gifts.
- The feeling of satisfaction and value from helping others.
- The desire to leave a lasting positive imprint on our community.
- The desire to promote or perpetuate a certain philosophy or belief.
- Giving as a family helps bring together family members for a common purpose.
- Memorializing a friend or loved one.
- Give back to the community that has provided support and in which someone has earned their wealth.
- Responsibility or desire to be a leader in one’s community.